U’s defeat Notts County to secure consecutive Sky Bet League Two wins

Cambridge United fought back from a goal behind to beat Notts County 3-1 at the Abbey Stadium, and clinch consecutive victories for first time since January.

Adam Campbell’s first half strike had given the visitors a one goal advantage at the break, but goals from Corr, Williamson and Berry ensured the U’s flipped the score board to clinch six points from a possible nine over a seven day period.

Manager Shaun Derry faced his former side for the first time and made just two changes with new loan signing Jordan Jones making his first appearance since arriving from Middlesbrough, and Terry Kennedy returning to the starting line-up.

With a swirling wind whistling through the Abbey Stadium, both sides found it tough to take a grip of the game, with only two half chances on goal falling the way of Luke Berry to show for the U’s early efforts in the opening quarter.

It was to be the visitors who opened the scores, after Sam Beasant had initially saved Izale McLeod’s shot from a corner which sparked an almighty scramble in the 18 yard box before Adam Campbell emerged with the ball to fire into the net on 24 minutes.

The U’s came close to a hasty riposte when Ryan Ledson played Harrison Dunk down the left wing with a quick free kick, and the winger’s delivery was within inches of diverting off a flailing Notts County leg and into the net.

As it was, it resulted in a Cambridge corner which Berry forced a fine save from Roy Carroll, when the former Manchester United shot stopper flicked the midfielder’s header beyond his left post.

Barry Corr was introduced by Manager Shaun Derry after the break as the U’s looked to level the game, and it took the striker just five second half minutes to do so from the penalty spot. Referee Charles Breakspear recognised that Notts County midfielder Alan Smith had brought Ben Williamson down unfairly in the box, which left Corr with the responsibility of burying the ball into the top left corner of the net.

The U’s then began to produce the energetic form that had clinched three points at Morecambe four days earlier and Berry came close to earning them the lead before the hour mark, when his left footed drive rose over the cross bar.

However, at 1-1 the visitors continued to threaten. Cameron Gayle had to show sharp reactions at the back post to block Adam Campbell’s effort following a superb cross from Elliott Hewitt. 

Meanwhile, at the other end Harrison Dunk’s deflected head on 65 minutes which landed on the roof of the net gave the Amber Army that the U’s could take the full three points from the match.

And the goal fell in bizarre fashion when Notts County’s Roy Carroll kicked the ball from his hands against Ben Williamson, which looped over the keeper for the striker to tap in on the line and send the Abbey Stadium into raptures and cause protest amongst the Notts County ranks. 

However, there were no issues with United’s third goal as Williamson turned provider, slipping in the overlapping Berry who placed his shot beneath Carroll to seal the win.

Cambridge United: Dunn, Kennedy (Taylor, 24 mins), Legge, Roberts, Gayle, Jones (Corr, 45 mins), Ledson, Newton, Berry, Dunk, Williamson (J.Hughes, 90 mins)

Goals: Barry Corr, Ben Williamson, Luke Berry

Notts County: Carroll, Smith, Snijders (Murray, 60 mins), Noble, Hewitt, Campbell, Burke, Audel, Edwards, McLeod (Bishop, 88 mins), Sheehan

Goals: Adam Campbell

Vindis Man of the Match: Harrison Dunk

Attendance: 4,596 (532 away)