Match Report: A Tough Afternoon for The U's

It was an afternoon to forget for Mark Bonner’s men, as they were taught a lesson by a rampant Lincoln side at The Abbey…

Despite Joe Ironside bagging his fourth goal of the season in the second-half, United couldn’t find a way back into the game – falling to a 5-1 defeat.

Mark Bonner named just one change going into the clash following Cambridge United’s victory over Bolton in their last League One outing prior to the international break. With Sam Smith coming in to replace James Brophy. Jubril Okedina returned to The U’s bench following his injury lay-off.

United found themselves 3-0 down after 45 minutes following an opening 45 minuets of impressive attacking from the visitors. The U’s afternoon got off to the worst possible start after just 24 seconds, with Hakeeb Adelakun putting the visitors ahead after Dimitar Mitov had previously done well to deny Tom Hopper at the near post – it was a goal that was a sign of things to come for The U’s.

The day got worse for the hosts in the 16th minute, as Lincoln City doubled their advantage through Conor McGrandles, who cut inside of George Williams to then neatly finish past Dimi Mitov at the far post.

Anthony Scully made is three in a very similar fashion after 25 minutes, with Lincoln again finding success down their left. The striker cut inside before excellently finishing into the top corner. Little was to follow in the remaining 20 minutes, as Mark Bonner’s men struggled to deal with Lincoln’s cross field balls and quick breaks – bringing the end to the first half.

It was more of the same in the opening exchanges of the second half, as substitute Lewis Florini added to the visitor lead shortly after the restart – again brilliantly finding Mitov’s top corner.

The U’s were thrown a lifeline through Joe Ironside – who scored his fourth league goal of the season thanks to some brilliant work from Wes Hoolahan in the Lincoln six-yard-box to set the striker up to finish into the roof of the net.

What little hope that was generated after Ironside’s goal were quickly quashed after Anthony Scully bagged his second goal of the game, and the best of Lincoln’s five. Firing into the top corner after 72 minutes form the edge of the area.

A quiet 20 minutes concluded the game, with subsitutes Jack Lankester, Jensen Weir and Harvey Knibbs unable to have any impact on the game. The closest United came to a goalcame after substitute Jensen Weir's late corner directly hit the bar in the latter stages of stoppage time.

Attentions now turn to Portsmouth next weekend, where Mark Bonner’s men will look to rebound from this weekend’s humbling defeat. Tickets for the clash can be bought from, by calling 01223 566500 (Option 1) or by purchasing from the Abbey Stadium Ticket Office during our Opening Hours.