Cambridge United produced a devastating display to thrash Morecambe 7-0 at the Abbey Stadium in Sky Bet League Two, to record their best ever Football League victory.  

Five goals in the first half gave Shaun Derry’s men a sizable winning margin at the break, before Zeli Ismail’s first strike for the club and Luke Berry's late penalty completed a seven goal rout over the Shrimps.

Having scored just one goal in their previous three fixtures, the U’s were clearly keen to get off the mark early in the match. They were presented the perfect opportunity to do so when an insightful pass from Max Clark, opened up the Morecambe defence before Harrison Dunk was chopped to the ground by Aaron McGowan, resulting in a penalty kick.

Captain Luke Berry was quick to get hold of the ball and slot it past Kieran O’Hara in the Shrimps goal to give United the lead on five minutes.

Their outstanding start to the game continued 13 minutes later, when Ben Williamson passed into Dunk, who threw two step overs before crashing a shot against Ryan Edwards which looped over O’Hara and doubled their advantage.

The left midfielder’s evening got even better on 25 minutes, when Darnell Furlong whipped a fine delivery to the back post where Dunk rose highest to double his and United’s tally from close range.

A rampant 30 minutes for the U’s, culminated with Williamson beating his man at the near post to tap in Ledson’s cross from the right hand side as Shaun Derry’s side ensured the fixture was over as a contest in ruthless fashion.

Berry looked to have added his second, when Dunk had picked out the skipper ten yards out, only for Chris Doyle to block his effort on the line. 

However, Shaun Derry’s men did make it a five star first half performance in stoppage time, when the returning Mark Roberts nodded home from close range after the Shrimps failed to deal with a Zel Ismail corner. 

Berry was again within fractions of adding to the U’s hefty lead shortly after the break, when the midfielder darted onto another well-placed Ismail corner, which O’Hara flicked onto the inside of his right post.

Ismail registered his first goal in amber and black just before the hour mark, when the ball fell kindly to the right winger 18 yards out, which he rifled into the Morecambe net on the half volley.

18-year old Dylan Williams was given his first 13 minutes in the Football League by Shaun Derry, as the youngster who was recently offered a development contract by the club for the 2016/17 season, took to the field in place of Ryan Ledson.

With U's skipper Luke Berry hauled to the turf in the dying embers of the match, Berry stepped up once again to roll the ball past O'Hara from 12 yards to finish off an emphatic score line.

Cambridge United: Norris, Furlong, Coulson, Roberts, Clark, Ismail, Berry, Dunne (Spencer, 65 mins), Ledson (Williams, 77 minutes), Dunk, Williamson (Simpson, 65 mins)

Morecambe: O’Hara, McGowan (Goodall, 45 mins), Kenyon, Edwards, Devitt, Barkhuizen, Molyneux, Miller (Mullin, 79 mins), Fleming, Doyle, Conlan (Ellison, 45 mins)
Attendance: 3,941 (46 fans)

Vindis Man of the Match: Luke Berry