Accrington defeat U’s 3-2 at the Abbey Stadium

Accrington Stanley took the spoils 3-2 against Cambridge United in a Sky Bet League Two affair full of action at the Abbey Stadium.

Barry Corr and Luke Berry had given the U’s the half time advantage, before second half goals from Tom Davies and Josh Windass added to Sean McConville’s finish in the first half, meaning that the visitors took all three points back to Lancashire.

Shaun Derry made four changes to the starting line-up for his first appearance at the Abbey Stadium. Defender Terry Kennedy, midfielder Ryan Ledson and striker Ben Williamson, who all joined the U’s on loan in the week, started the clash with Greg Taylor also returning to the side. 15-year old Leon Davies also earned a spot on the bench following his impressive midweek performance in the FA Youth Cup.

Corr enjoyed an early chance as the U’s stamped their authority on the match, with the Irishman heading Harrison Dunk’s impeccable delivery straight at Stanley keeper Jason Mooney.

Ledson then had the Amber Army on the edge of their seats, when he swivelled on the ball 30 yards from goal before firing off a venomous low drive, which Mooney again parried away from goal.

However, the shot stopper could do nothing to prevent Corr giving the U’s the lead on 13 minutes from a sweeping volley off a Leon Legge flicked header, registering his ninth goal of the campaign.

Ben Williamson came close to doubling the advantage shortly after, unleashing whipped effort from outside the Accrington 18 yard box that came within fractions of nestling in the top right corner.

Despite United’s dominance in the first period, it was the visitors who scored next with a well-worked piece of play that saw Billy Kee dummy Tom Davies’ pass for Sean McConville to finish smartly past Chris Dunn in the 29th minute.

Williamson came close to restoring the lead from kick off with an effort inside the Stanley area whistled wide, before Berry did put the U’s back into the lead on 37 minutes. A counter attacking move from the U’s saw Donaldson dart up the right wing before teeing up the U’s captain on the day, who placed his shot perfectly past Mooney in the bottom left corner to give the United a half-time advantage.

Accrington levelled the game once more just four minutes into the second half. Tom Davies thrashed home a loose ball in the United area from a Sean McConville corner to equalise.

The visitors then took the lead soon after, when referee Iain Williamson adjudged Leon Legge to have unfairly pulled Billy Kee to the ground, before Josh Windass sent Dunn the wrong way from the spot.

United dug their heels in to try and find a way back into the game, with Corr and Legge both having sights on goal from deep free kicks delivered by Vindis Man of the Match Ryan Ledson. The U’s also looked to have been denied a penalty of their own when Ledson played Williamson through on goal, who seemed to have his shirt tugged by his opposite number.

Mooney pulled off a magnificent save to tip Harrison Dunk’s shot over the bar, which seemed destined to nestle into the top corner on 74 minutes, which proved to be as close as the U’s came.

Cambridge United: Dunn, Taylor (Newton, 45 mins), Legge, Kennedy, Demetriou, Donaldson (Slew, 82 mins), Berry, Ledson, Dunk, Corr, Williamson

Accrington Stanley: Mooney, Pearson, Davies, Mingoia, Windass (McCarten, 81 mins), McConville, Crooks (Procter, 90 mins), Wright, Conneely, Kee (Gornell, 90 mins), Halliday

Attendance: 5,107 (66 away)