Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Report: Peterborough 2-0 Cambridge United

12 September 2023

Cambridge United came unstuck against Peterborough on Tuesday night as goals either side of half-time condemned the U’s to a 2-0 defeat in their first EFL Trophy game of the season…

Mark Bonner named eight changes from the side that beat Reading, including a return to action for Adam May, who had been sidelined for the previous 11 months after suffering an ACL injury last October.

It was Adam May who got the game underway and United almost got off to the dream start after just three minutes, as Kachunga got to the by-line before pulling the ball back to Gordon, who forced a fine parried save from Talley from close-range.

The pattern of the game was set from the early goings, as Peterborough enjoyed the lions share of possession whilst United aimed to soak it up, stay disciplined and hit their rivals on the counter.

With nearly 20 minutes played, it was the home side that opened the scoring as Katongo swiveled on the volley to turn in De Havilland’s skewed shot from distance.

Just one day after baking hot conditions, the weather couldn’t have been any more different, as the rain poured down in Peterborough all evening long. Simper nearly used the surface water to his advantage with nearly 30 minutes played, as he took aim from the edge of the box but fired narrowly wide.

With the U’s enjoying a positive spell in proceedings, Gordon had two sights on goal within the space of five minutes – the first skidding wide from a narrow angle before forcing Talley to get down and make the stop from just inside the area.

May came inches away from a perfect return with 35 minutes played, as he lined up a trademark strike from distance but couldn’t quite find the corner.

Posh still had their own threat as the half-time whistle approached - Sturge hitting the post following a cross towards the back-post, before Mason-Clark made Mannion work for the first time with a low effort from 20 yards which was well kept out.

George Thomas, Mamadou Jobe and Sullay Kaikai replaced Adam May, Liam Bennett and John-Kymani Gordon at the break, but rather than kick-on and get back into the game, it was the home side who came out and immediately seized the initiative, culminating in a second goal for Posh – a fine finish from Mason-Clark, who found the bottom corner after Clarke-Harris split the defence with a quick release to his teammate.

Academy youngster, Glenn McConnell was brought into the fold on the 64th minute as United looked to find a spark to reignite their chances of a comeback, and he could have scored his first senior goal ten minutes after coming on, but his right-footed effort on goal was straight down the goalkeepers throat.

Mark Bonner’s final roll of the dice saw Ahadme take the place of Okenabirhie, but aside from another McConnell effort which flew wide of the near-post, the U’s struggled to generate any late drama as the contest petered out to see the hosts win 2-0.

United turn their attention back to League One now, as they get ready to travel to Wigan Athletic on Saturday in search for another three points.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account