Cambridge United’s U18s cruise into the third round of the FA Youth Cup after a 4-0 win over Guiseley AFC.

A Hat-trick from U16 Glenn McConnell and a goal from Nathan Braithwaite gave the young U’s a comfortable win over 10 men Guiseley at the Abbey.

After an end to end start to the game, it was the U’s who broke the deadlock after just seven minutes. A swift piece of build up play from Kai Yearn and McConnell resulted in the latter finishing on his third attempt at goal to put the young U’s ahead.

United stamped their authority on the game after the goal and came close to extending their lead, while the visitors posed little threat to the host’s goal. In the 32nd minute the U’s doubled their lead after a freekick played quickly gave Kia Yearn a free run into the box. The number 10 cut the ball back to the edge of the box where it found teammate Glenn McConnell, this time the forward arrowed his strike into the top left corner to grab his second goal of the game.

The U’s came close to adding a third in the 40th minute, as set pieces continued to cause chaos for the visitors. This time it was a flicked header at the near post by Dan Barton that looped its way to the back post where it was met by U’s skipper Harvey Beckett, but his effort was stopped brilliantly by the on-rushing Guiseley goalkeeper.

In the 44th minute, Guiseley were reduced to 10 men. A silly late challenge from the visitor’s number nine. Darwin King, saw him dismissed after receiving his second yellow, not long after his first.

After the break, the U’s extended their lead further. After a perfectly weighted pass from Dan Barton found Nathan Braithwaite’s path, the United midfielder made no mistake with his finish finding the top left-hand corner of the net, making sure it would be the host who would progress into the 3rd round.

In the 51st minute Glenn McConnell completed his hattrick. The U’s forward nipped in ahead of the defender and finished calmly on the half volley to put the result beyond doubt.

As the game grew on, United made the extra man count as the hosts controlled the majority of the possession and even came close to adding a fifth.

Guiseley’s best chance of the game came 10 minutes from time when their substitute striker raced through on goal. However, U’s keeper Jonah gill made a brilliant double save to deny The Lions a goal and preserve their clean sheet.

The final whistle sounded, and the game finished 4-0, confirming United’s progression in the competition, where they will face either Sunderland FC or AFC Fylde on home soil in the next round.