Cambridge United continued their pre-season fixture schedule, with a 2-3 defeat against West Ham United’s U23s over 120 minutes.

The U’s went behind on 11 minutes, when the Hammers number 9 broke clean through on goal and despite Callum Burton’s best efforts one on one, making contact with his left boot on the shot, the ball looped into the net.

However, United responded instantly, winning a corner at the other end of the field, which Tom Knowles duly delivered on to the forehead of Liam O’Neil, who pulled United level on 13 minutes.

The Hammers flashed a mid-range shot wide from 25 yards soon after, before Wes Hoolahan came close with a stab at goal on the end of a Paul Mullin cut back only to be denied by a good save from the West Ham keeper.

Burton showed top reactions too at the start of the second 30 minute quarter, quickly getting both hands to an effort at goal from 10 yards which looked likely to pull the hosts ahead once more.

The hammers keeper then produced two outstanding saves, firstly to push a Paul Mullin effort, hit in the swivel, onto the post. And somehow he managed to get gloves on a close range effort by Harvey Knibbs who looked to have swept in a Knoyle cross. Greg Taylor was unfortunate not to register with the rebound, but his shot hit Tom Dickens in an offside position before it crossed the line.

The U’s up in tempo proved fruitful though when Kyle Knoyle weighted the perfect pass into Tom Knowles, who showed the defence a clean pair of heels and blasted a low shot that finally got the better of the host’s keeper.

Mullin missed the chance to extend the advantage from the penalty spot, with the keeper guessing the right way to save the striker’s attempt from 12 yards on 45 minutes. However, Bonner’s men took their lead right up to the hour mark, when both sides made full changes to their 11.

The Hammers struck the foot of the post midway through the third quarter, with the U’s a little stretched from a cross towards their back post.

Dimi Mitov was called into action twice, firstly to make an athletic save low to his left, to push a precise effort away from his bottom corner. And his second save was far more routine with a comfortable catch in the centre of his goal shortly before the 90 minute mark.

Luke Hannant delivered a high, in-swinging free kick which the Hammers keeper did well to palm away from an onrushing swarm of Amber shirts on the edge of the six yard box.

The best chance for United to put the game to bed, came after Joe Ironside had muscled his way through on goal excellently, only to drag his shot wide of the mark once he had strode into the 18 yard box. Hannant also saw a drilled attempt at goal, clawed away by the Irons keeper.

And the hosts registered a leveller in the 112th minute, with a cut back cross side footed in from close range, before winning the match in the final minute to complete a late turnaround.

CUFC First 60 | Burton, Knoyle, Taylor, Dickens, Dunk, Knowles, Simper, O’Neil (Worman), Hoolahan, Mullin, Knibbs

CUFC Second 60 | Mitov (Trialist), Davies, Beckett, Darling, Iredale, Hannant, Digby, Worman (Battersby), Neal, Ironside, Dallas