Cambridge United produced a controlled display against Stevenage, a David Amoo’s first half volley saw them take away a previous 0-1 victory from the Lamex Stadium in Sky Bet League Two.

Joe Dunne elected to make two changes to his side as Reggie Lambe and Amoo moved into United’s starting eleven.

The U’s were quick out the blocks and immediately pressed with intensity to gain the initiative in the contest. A goalmouth scramble which ensued after a well-delivered corner from Jevani Brown had landed in the centre of the Stevenage six yard box, almost saw the U’s break the deadlock inside five minutes.

They were rewarded for their positivity on 16 minutes though, when Jabo Ibehre pounced on a loose save by Stevenage keeper Paul Farman, and the striker lifted a perfect cross into the path of David Amoo at the back post to slam home on the volley.

Four minutes later the winger was close to doubling United’s advantage, when finding himself in behind Ronnie Henry, only to see his drilled effort parried away from goal by Farman on this occasion.

Joe Dunne’s men enjoyed the remainder of the best chances in the half, with Maris curling a shot from 20 yards fractions wide and David Amoo going close to turning provider when his whipped cross from the right wing flew off the head of Reggie Lambe but over the bar.

The U’s were certainly asked to do a little more defending in the second half, although only a tame mid-range effort from Georgiou moments after the break and a late header on goal by Newton forced David Forde into action, with the U’s shot stopper commanding his 18 yard box well throughout the match.

His defence in front of him were professional throughout and handled all threat from the hosts comfortably.

In fact it was still the U’s who crafted the more threatening openings on goal, with Lambe twice going close with a header on 65 minutes and then an excellent curling effort which had Farman beaten but was inches wide.

Jabo Ibehre was a constant physical outlet for United, leading the line well and was unfortunate not to get the chance to register a goal of his own as a George Maris header back across goal failed to fall at his feet in time to get his shot away before Ronnie Henry intercepted at close range.

The final chance of the match fell the way of U’s substitute Ade Azeez, who showed great energy to close down a clearance by Paul Farman, before rounding the Stevenage keeper but nestling a shot against the side netting from an acute angle as the U’s finished the encounter strongly.

Stevenage: Farman, Wildin, Cuthbert, Byrom, Revell (Gutherie, 63 mins), Seddon (Sonupe, 45 mins), Ferry, Georgiou (Kennedy, 60 mins), Newton, Henry, Wilkinson


Cambridge United: Forde, Halliday, Taft, John, Carroll, Deegan, Maris, Amoo (Osadebe, 89 mins), Lambe (Azeez, 80 mins), Brown, Ibehre

Bookings: Osadebe