Cambridge United produced a ruthless away performance to secure a vital 0-2 victory over Swindon Town in Sky Bet League Two.

Two early goals from Reggie Lambe and Jevani Brown saw the U’s fly out the blocks at the County Ground before they displayed excellent defensive composure and resilience to see out the game and pick up the three points.

The U’s made two changes to the side that drew with League leaders Lincoln City four days earlier, as Jake Carroll returned from suspension in place of the newly suspended Brad Halliday, and David Amoo began the game instead of Ade Azeez.

United crafted an excellent opening on goal inside two minutes, when Gary Deegan slid through a well-weighted pass for Lambe to retrieve down the left channel, but the forward never quite mind his mind up and saw his shot saved one-on-one by the feet of Swindon keeper Lawrence Vigouroux.

David Amoo threatened during the early stages too, with the winger pressing in from the right flank and drilling a cross into the six yard which was fractions away from being turned in for an own goal by a tracking Swindon player.

However, United soon got their reward through Lambe who timed his press perfectly on 10 minutes to pinch possession high up the field, then out-manoeuvred the final defender and placed the ball beyond the keeper with his left boot.

It got even better for United a minute and a half later as Jevani Brown ghosted in from the right hand side and produced an equally cool finish to double the advantage for Joe Dunne’s men on 12 minutes.

David Forde was called into action for the first time midway through the half, as he first gratefully caught a close range header by Dion Conroy from the Robins first corner of the game before he then pushed former United midfielder James Dunne’s effort wide of the post minutes later to maintain the U’s two goal cushion.

Matty Taylor attempted to get the better of the U’s keeper at his near post with a free kick on the half hour mark, but the shot crashed against the side netting.

Dunne again tested Forde with a shot that skidded off the slick surface in an awkward spot, which the U’s shot stopper watched well and pushed away from goal with both hands.

Whilst the hosts ended the half the stronger, Brown did have a chance to add a third for the U’s but his attempt from an acute angle crept the wrong side of the near post minutes before the break.

The U’s opened up the first clear chance of the second half with an excellent counter attack from a Swindon set piece, which ended with Jevani Brown being denied a second of the game by the legs of Vigouroux on the hour mark.

Marc Richards clipped the outside of the David Forde’s right post with a stab at goal from 12 yards, before the keeper continued his fine performance with an excellent fingertip stop to deny Swindon sub Kaiyne Woolery’ near post header as the game approached the final quarter.

Chances were free flowing at both ends though, with Brown ensuring that the Robins keeper was kept busy, when hitting a vicious volley on target that required a strong right hand by Vigouroux.

Joe Dunne’s men remained resolute for the remainder though and restricted the hosts to very little clear cut opportunities back into the game.

Ade Azeez had the last glimpse at goal, but the striker failed to convert after a lofted ball over the top by Brown.

Swindon Town: Vigouroux, Knoyle, Doughty (Dunne, 16 mins), Lancashire, Richards, Anderson, Alzate, Adebayo (McGlashan, 79 mins), Diagouraga (Woolery, 56 mins), Conroy, Taylor

Bookings: Conroy, Adebayo

Cambridge United: Forde, John, Taylor, Taft, Carroll, Deegan, O’Neil (Lewis, 77 mins), Brown, Lambe, Maris (Osadebe, 69 mins), Amoo (Azeez, 66 min)

Bookings: Deegan, Carroll, Lambe

Attendance: 5,824