Cambridge United produced a five star display against Port Vale to complete the 2017/18 season on a high at a sun drenched Abbey Stadium in Sky Bet league Two.

David Amoo, Harrison Dunk, Brad Halliday, Barry Corr and Billy Waters all found the net as United turned on the style in a game that also brought an end to Leon Legge’s career at the Abbey and saw Tom Knowles make his League debut.

United lined up with one change as David Amoo replaced Uche Ikpeazu in the starting eleven.

Despite a low key start and an early injury worry for Dimitar Mitov who clattered with far post, United soon showed in the first half they were keen to end the season positively.

Jake Carroll’s cross from the left on 33 minutes was controlled well by David Amoo on the chest, before the winger fired home a volley past Sam Hornby to give United a lead.

One goal, quickly became two when another Carroll cross led to an almighty scramble in the Port Vale 18 yard box, in which Amoo and Maris both saw efforts blocked before Dunk smashed the ball in from close range.

It could and probably should have become three in a scintillating ten minutes for the U’s, when Jevani Brown squared the ball to Billy Waters after a well-constructed counter attack, that the Northampton loanee failed to direct past Hornby from four yards out.

After the break, Port Vale’s Luke Hannant twice came close to pulling a goal back when volleying over from a Danny Pugh cross, before flicking a header right across the face of goal moments later at the near post.

However, the platform had been set for a carnival on the closing day of the season, which began with a stunning strike from Brad Halliday as the full back let rip on a 30 yard effort that picked out the top corner of Port Vale’s goal on 69 minutes.

Youngster Tom Knowles was introduced minutes later to make his Football League debut at the Abbey, but it was the other United sub, Barry Corr, who once again made the headlines with the striker perfectly placed as always to coolly slot in a fourth for the U’s from ten yards.

Waters completed the goal scoring on the afternoon, when the diminutive loanee hared into the Valiants area from the right and laced a strike into bottom corner to round off a five star performance.

And the final curtain call fell for Leon Legge, who was sent on by Joe Dunne to make his final United appearance, replacing Gary Deegan to receive the captain’s armband one last time.

Cambridge United: Mitov, Halliday, Taft, Taylor, Carroll, Deegan (Legge, 81 mins), Amoo (Knowles, 72 mins), Maris, Brown (Corr, 57 mins), Dunk, Waters

Port Vale: Hornby, Howe (Calveley, 45 mins), Davis, Pugh, Pope, Gibbons, Angus (Turner, 71 mins), Smith, Whitfield, Tongue, Hannant

Attendance: 4,808 (527)

Vindis Man of the Match: George Maris