Cambridge United were defeated 2-0 at the hands of Swindon Town in Sky Bet League Two, following goals in each half from Keshi Anderson and Harry Smith.

Shaun Derry selected the same starting 11 that featured in the midweek win over Forest Green at the Cambs Glass Stadium, with Greg Taylor again missing out on a place in the squad following his head injury against Mansfield Town a week earlier.

United began the game with the same attacking impetus that had achieved a comfortable victory over Forest Green earlier in the week, with Mingoia and Halliday in particular finding joy down the right of the pitch in the early encounters.

However, the hosts broke the deadlock against the run of play on 12 minutes when Keshi Anderson was in the right place to knock the ball past David Forde, who had only just been called into action for the first time 20 seconds earlier to deny Amine Linganzi’s mid-range effort.

The remainder of the half was evenly contested with Swindon going close to registering a second through Woolery who saw his shot blocked by Taft and United pressing for an equaliser, George Maris’ 25 yard half volley the nearest Shaun Derry’s men came before the break.

United huffed and puffed during the early stages of the second period and made a double substitution shortly after the hour mark with additions of Jevani Brown and Jake Carroll to add further attacking intent.

Brown was straight into the action, running menacingly at the Robin’s defence before curling a shot wide of Vigouroux’s target.

Ikpeazu was a coat of paint away from levelling, when he nodded the ball against the cross bar on 73 minutes after Brad Halliday’s cross had caused the hosts all sorts of bother.

David Forde twice kept the U’s hopes of taking something from the game alive with a pair of brilliant one-on-one saves against Anderson, showing all of his experience to deny the tricky forward a second goal of the day.

However, Robins substitute Harry Smith put the game beyond the U’s when he calmly slotted past Forde with two minutes remaining to deliver the hammer blow.

Ibehre and Ikpeazu both had shots blocked off the goal line in stoppage time as the U’s looked to make a fist of it but to no avail.

Swindon Town: Vigouroux, Purkiss, Preston, Lancashire, Dunne, Norris (Smith, 62 mins), Linganzi, Gordon (Mullin, 81 mins), Woolery (Goddard, 68 mins), Anderson, Taylor

Cambridge United: Forde, Halliday, Legge, Taft, Dunk, Mingoia (Brown, 65 mins), Deegan (Osadebe, 71 mins), Maris, Elito (Carroll, 65 mins), Ikpeazu, Ibehre

Attendance: 5,847 (326)