Cambridge United produced a disappointing display as their three game unbeaten streak in Sky Bet League Two was ended with a 3-1 defeat at the hands of Barnet.

A brace for Mauro Vilhete and a Shaquile Coulthirst strike put the Bees beyond the reach of United, despite Leon Legge’s first goal of the season.

Shaun Derry elected to make just three changes to the side that defeated Colchester United a week earlier, with Jabo Ibehre, George Maris and Piero Mingoia returning to the starting eleven.

The hosts were forced into an early change when Dave Tarpey left the field with a knee problem and was replaced by Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro.

An inspired David Forde produced a string of excellent saves during the opening half of the match, displaying superb reactions low to his right against Akpa Akpro’s close range header, which turned out to be the pick of the bunch.

However, shortly after producing another excellent stop to deny David Tutonda one-on-one, the U’s keeper could do nothing to keep out Mauro Vilhete’s 40th minute unmarked header, which separated the sides at the break.

The U’s returned for the second period looking to increase their attacking intent and started on the right foot when Uche Ikpeazu powered on to the end of a well delivered cross from Harrison Dunk, which missed the target.

But it was to be the hosts who would deliver a further blow to United’s chances, when Coulthirst completed a sweeping counter attack with a fine finish past Forde on the hour mark.

The U’s responded ten minutes later when Leon Legge bulleted a header into the top corner, from a free kick delivered by Medy Elito, who had been introduced as one of three substitutions made by Shaun Derry in the 65th minute.

However, Azeez who had also made his way off the bench was soon forced to return to it through injury, leaving the U;s to play the final ten minutes with ten men.

David Amoo was unable to keep his shot down as the U’s pushed for a late leveller, but it was Vilhete that completed the job for the Bees, smashing a shot into the roof of the net in stoppage time.

 Barnet: Ross, Clough, Santos, Nelson, Campbell-Ryce, Coulthirst, J.Taylor (Fonguck, 76 mins), Tutonda, H.Taylor, Vilhette, Tarpey (Akpa Akpro, 6 mins)

Cambridge United: Forde, Halliday, Taylor, Legge, Dunk, Mingoia (Elito, 65 mins), Deegan, Maris (Amoo, 65 mins), Brown, Ikpeazu, Ibehre (Azeez, 65 mins)

Attendance: 2,031 (683)