Cambridge United’s four match unbeaten run in Sky Bet League Two is ended with a 2-0 defeat to Stevenage at the Lamex Stadium.

The U’s were unable to respond to a goal in each half for the hosts, with Byron Harrison registering in the first period to give Darren Sarrl’s side the lead before an own goal completed the scoreline.

Stevenage began the game the brighter of the two sides and United were forced to show good defensive resolve in the opening encounters to keep the game scoreless.

Just as Shaun Derry’s side looked to have quelled the early pressure, Byron Harrison powered past Josh Coulson to get on the end of a long ball up field and poke a shot past Will Norris to give Stevenage the lead on 17 minutes.

With United looking for a hasty response, Ben Williamson struck the outside of the post four minutes later, after the striker sprung on to Ryan Ledson’s pass through the middle of the pitch.

Ryan Donaldson was the next to attempt an equaliser, when the ball dropped to the right midfielder outside the area, which he drilled low and hard at the Stevenage target, but Jamie Jones saved well.

However, it was Darren Sarrl’s men that finished the half the stronger with a late flurry of chances that saw Will Norris produce an outstanding point blank save to keep United in the game before heading down the tunnel at the break.

Shaun Derry brought Jimmy Spencer on after half time in place of James Dunne and his side went immediately on to the attack in the second period, with Leon Legge fractions away from equalising when he powered a header over the bar from close range. A fine save from Jones moments later denied Berry who had leaped well to meet Ryan Ledson’s set piece delivery.

However, as the U’s looked to be getting on top of the game, Stevenage hit United with a counter attacking move that ended with Ryan Hedges’ cross being bundled into the net by a combination of Ryan Haynes and Harrison.

The goal proved to be the pivotal moment in the match, as United struggled to create enough goal scoring opportunities during the closing stages to claw a result from the game.

Cambridge United: Norris, Furlong, Legge, Coulson, Haynes (Ahearne-Grant, 66 mins), Donaldson (Simpson, 73 mins), Ledson, Dunne (Spencer, 45 mins), Berry, Dunk, Williamson

Stevenage: Jones, Wilkinson, Franks, Hedges, Pett (Johnson, 90 mins), Harrison (O’Connor, 66 mins), Tonge, Lee, Henry, Ogilvie, Conlon (Cox, 61 mins)