Cambridge United 0-1 Wycombe Wanderers

10-man U's beaten

Hogan Ephraim’s goal and Cameron McGeehan’s red card meant Wycombe Wanderers left the R Costings Abbey Stadium with all three points by beating Cambridge United.

The Chairboys claimed victory thanks to Ephraim’s 54th minute goal, an attempted cross from a left wing free kick that curled in at the far post without anyone getting a touch.

McGeehan’s red card, which followed a clash with Wycombe keeper Matt Ingram, meant United had a mountain to climb as they tried to force an equaliser, though Jordan Slew came close to notching a leveller on his debut.

Gearoid Morrissey was handed his full debut after his appearance from the bench at Old Trafford. Morrissey replaced Luke Chadwick in what was the only U’s change, with new signing Slew named among the substitutes.

Morrissey made a good impression, looking tidy on the ball and springing forward on a number of occasions to get involved in attacks.

But it was Wycombe who made the early running, making good progress wide areas, particularly down their left. United defended several corners with aplomb, and after that began to get a foothold in the match.

Robbie Simpson was lively in a deep-lying forward position, roaming around behind Tom Elliott and finding space all over the pitch. He saw a low angled shot from Elliott’s knock-down saved by Ingram at his near post then forced the Chairboys stopper into a diving save after beating two defenders on the edge of the area.

Aaron Holloway’s header was the closest Wycombe came to a goal, the striker found space in the box to meet a good cross from Jacobson but saw his effort float across goal and just wide of the far post.

The match turned in three minute just after half-time, with Wycombe hitting the front in the 54th minute through Ephraim, who curled a free kick in towards the far post and looked slightly bemused to see it beat everyone and nestle in the corner of the net.

United went straight up the other end and won a corner, but before it could be taken an altercation between McGeehan and Ingram saw the on-loan Norwich midfielder shown a straight red-card.

The U’s re-organised with the introduction of Slew and Kaikai, and United’s new number nine could have made himself an instant hero, but was unable to get a touch on a terrific low cross from Kaikai. 

May I Claim Man of the Match: Robbie Simpson

Cambridge United: Dunn, Tait, Taylor, Coulson, Nelson, McGeehan, Donaldson, Champion, Morrissey (Kaikai 67), Simpson (Hunt 75), Elliott (Slew 63). Subs not used: Norris, Miller, Ball, Chadwick.

Wycombe Wanderers: Ingram, Jombati, Jacobsen, Pierre, Mawson, Ephraim (Murphy 69), Wood, Bloomfield, Bean, Onyedinma, Holloway (Craig 81). Subs not used: Richardson, Fletcher, Rowe, McClure, Senior.

Referee: Andy Davies

Attendance: 6,894 (away 701)