Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Lincoln City 6-0 Cambridge United

12 March 2024

Match Reports

Report: Lincoln City 6-0 Cambridge United

12 March 2024

Cambridge United fell to a 6-0 defeat at Lincoln City on Tuesday night as the in-form home outfit proved too strong for the U’s…

Disastrous starts to both halves gave United no chance in the contest, as goals three minutes into each restart made an already difficult task even harder for Garry Monk’s men. Further goals from the Imps condemned United to a humbling defeat in Lincolnshire as the hosts poured it on late in the game to rub salt in the wounds.

Garry Monk opted for continuity in his second game in-charge of United, as the U’s Head Coach sent out the same starting XI and bench from the weekend’s draw against Northampton.

It was a nightmare beginning to the game, as Lincoln came out quick and pressed United into losing the ball deep in their own territory, before Jack Moylan smashed in from just inside the box to give the home side the lead.

Taylor had a good sight of goal a few minutes later, but he was unable to generate enough power with a header from 6 yards out.

With 10 minutes played, Danny Andrew lined up a direct free-kick from distance, and although it caused Jensen to temporarily bobble the ball, the Imps ‘keeper was able to hang onto it at the second time of asking.

Stevens showed his worth just shy of 20 minutes played, as an acrobatic dive and palm away denied Sorensen from the tightest of angles, and the resulting corner caused chaos inside the United six-yard box with the ball flashing just wide of the post.

The pressure was building and United were unable to cope – the second goal coming after a failure to clear the ball on multiple occasions, punished by Moylan who grabbed his second goal with a precision strike into the bottom corner.

Lincoln continued to press until the interval, as United struggled to build any attacking momentum in the game, with the half-time whistle providing relief for those in amber who were able to regroup in the dressing room.

The second half started in the same vein – conceding again after just three minutes, this time through Joe Taylor’s close-range finish from inside the six-yard box.

Monk turned to the bench soon after as Sullay Kaikai replaced Jack Lankester and he almost had an immediate impact, picking the ball up in the centre of the pitch before driving towards goal and firing a strike narrowly wide.

United were finally having some success and much of it was down to the endeavour of James Brophy – he had two good opportunities within the space of a few minutes – the first well saved from Jensen as he curled towards the top corner from the edge of the box before the second landed on the roof of the net.

Macauley Bonne was next to be introduced, as he replaced Liam Bennett and it was his namesake, Ryan, who should have pulled one back on 70 minutes as his free header from a U’s corner sailed wide of the post.

It was 4-0 soon after, as Taylor applied a deft finishing touch to a slick Lincoln City move, before the fifth and sixth came late in the contest to round off a sombre night for United who head to Reading on Saturday in their latest crunch clash.

Attendance: 7,316 (374)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account