Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U's edged by R's in Dunk's Testimonial

27 July 2021

Match Reports

U's edged by R's in Dunk's Testimonial

27 July 2021

U’s fans were in full voice as they were welcomed back to the Abbey to celebrate ten years of Harrison Dunk, with 3,158 fans in attendance...

The celebrations of both Dunk’s testimonial and the welcoming of fans back to the Abbey weren’t dampened despite an impressive QPR side running out as comfortable winners.

Summer signings George Williams, Lloyd Jones, James Brophy and Jensen Weir all made their first outing at the Abbey Stadium, in addition to the returning Sam Smith and Shilow Tracey who made their debuts as permanent signings.

After a cagey opening couple of minutes, Albert Adomah, who was a late inclusion to the R’s team, replacing Yoann Barbet, was sent through one-on-one, however Mitov came up with the goods, denying the visitors an early lead. Not long after, QPR were awarded a penalty after what seemed like a pull of the shirt from Taylor, however the resulting penalty from Lyndon Dykes smashed onto the bar and was then eventually cleared away.

United spent the majority of the early runnings penned into their own half due to some impressive pressing from Mark Warburton’s side, with Charlie Austin spurning a golden opportunity after twenty minutes, firing over the bar from just outside the six-yard box. United began to then grow into the game around the twenty minute mark with summer recruit James Brophy impressing on his first Abbey outing, causing the opposition defence problems with his intense pressing and tricky footwork.

The R’s took the lead on the half-hour mark after a loose Dunk throw in set the impressive Ilias Chair away one-on-one with Mitov, slotting the ball away into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

In an attempt of redemption, Dunk played a lovely ball in behind the QPR defence, setting away Williams on the right, who’s cross was inches away from finding Smith in the centre.

QPR made it two after thirty-eight minutes, with Scotland international Lyndon Dykes sliding in to meet a low cross at the far post. The R’s continued to impress as the first half drew to a close, with Dykes missing another good chance after Dunne’s initial shot hit the bar.

The pattern of the end of the first half continued into the second, with Osman Kakay’s cross-cum-shot forcing a great save out of the United stopper. United’s best chance of the game came ten minutes into the second half, after some impressive quick football in United’s half freed up Shilow Tracey to race in on the QPR goal - however his shot fired just wide. The game began to open up as the second half continued, with United beginning to get closer to the QPR net.

After a quiet period, Harvey Knibbs & Adam May were introduced into the game in the seventieth minute, with Shilow Tracey and Jensen Weir coming off. QPR however continued to threat down their left side, with Osman Kakay hitting Mitov’s post. Joe Ironside was introduced with ten minutes to play, replacing summer signing Sam Smith.

Substitute Adam May forced the outstretched Jordan Archer into a fine stop before the resulting corner fell nicely for May again to this time go one further and beat Archer with a fine finish from outside the area. This is was sign of things to come, with United finishing the much stronger of the two sides - with United best play coming through Adam May.

Harrison Dunk received a huge standing ovation in the final few minutes as he was brought off for Jack Iredale.

Despite a much improved second half, the U’s weren’t able to find themselves an equaliser, with a strong Queens Park Rangers side running out 2-1 winners.

United’s draw their pre season to a close next Saturday, welcoming League Two Northampton Town to the Abbey Stadium.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account