Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


4 February 2017

Match Reports


4 February 2017


Cambridge United were edged out 1-0 at the Cambs Glass Stadium by a defensively solid Plymouth Argyle side in Sky Bet League Two.

A first half header from Antoni Sarcevic was enough for the Pilgrims to travel back to Devon with three points, despite a barrage of chances for the U’s during the second half.

United made three changes to the side which started against Luton in their previous fixture, with both Liam O’Neil and Scott Wharton making their debuts for the Club, and Ben Williamson lining up alongside Uche Ikpeazu up front.

The game began at a frantic pace with the U’s producing a lively opening, Berry, Ikpeazu, Williamson and O’Neil all peppering efforts at goal, forcing the Pilgrims into some early last ditch defending.

As the encounter approached the midway stage of the first half it began to settle, with Plymouth grasping control and Norris forced in a two excellent full stretch saves by Sarcevic and Kennedy.

Shaun Derry’s men looked to have withstood the Pilgrims’ pressure until Antoni Sarcevic headed past Norris in the 41st minute to open the scoring.

The U’s came close to a quick riposte, with Wharton seeing his header blocked off the line and Luke McCormick saving Williamson’s flicked effort moments before the half time whistle.

United began the second half in similar fashion to the first, and came close  to a leveller when an almighty scramble ensued before referee John Brooks awarded the visitors a free kick to relieve the pressure.

McCormick denied Paul Lewis the chance to level on 69  minutes with a point blank  save when the substitute looked to be in a prime position to head home an equaliser. 

The shot stopper also saved when Ikpeazu directed an effort goalwards ten minutes later.

However, the best opportunity fell to Scott Wharton who once more saw his powerful attempt blocked on the line with ten minutes of the game remaining. Despite the U’s best efforts, Derek Adam’s side held on to take the spoils from the Cambs Glass Stadium.

Cambridge United: Norris, Mingoia, Wharton, Legge, Roberts, Carroll (Dunk, 56 mins), O’Neil, Dunne (Lewis, 67 mins), Berry, Ikpeazu, Williamson (McDonagh, 77 mins)

Plymouth Argyle: McCormick, Sawyer, Songo’o, Sarcevic, Carey, Bradley, Kennedy (Donaldson, 56 mins), Threlkeld, Taylor (Slew, 72 mins), Fox, Sokolik

Attendance: 5,084 (837)

Vindis Man of the Match: Scott Wharton

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account