Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


2 April 2016

Club News


2 April 2016

Spencer strike ensures U' gain a hard fought point

Cambridge United secured a hard fought 1-1 draw against automatic promotion chasers Accrington Stanley at the Wham Stadium in Sky Bet League Two.

The U’s were unable to hold onto their 1-0 lead given to them by Jimmy Spencer’s strike in the 55th minute, with substitute Tarique Fosu levelling for the hosts 13 minutes from time.

United Manager Shaun Derry elected to make two changes to his starting line-up for the fixture with Ryan Ledson and Zeli Ismail selected ahead of Ben Williamson and Harrison Dunk.

An early strike from Ismail had Stanley keeper Ross Etheridge in action during the opening ten minutes of the first half, as United began the game brightly.

However, as the half approached the midway point, it was Accrington who looked the side more likely to register the opening goal. A series of important interceptions from Josh Coulson, James Dunne and goalkeeper Will Norris ensured the scoreline remained level.

The U’s shot stopper had to show sharp reaction on 26 minutes, when Piero Mingoia’s cross from the right was headed on target from point blank range by Billy Kee.

Shaun Derry’s side dug deep however, and disrupted the hosts’ momentum in the game, which was evenly contested up to the break.

An early chance fell the way of Ryan Ledson in the second period, when the ball dropped kindly for the Everton loanee 18 yards out following hard work from Ismail to win the ball, but the midfielder’s strike was deflected and caught acrobatically by Etheridge in the Accrington goal.

United continued their early spell of pressure and got their reward on 56 minutes, when a long ball up field by Ryan Haynes found Jimmy Spencer in behind the Accrington defence, and an attempt to clear the ball rebounded off the toe of the former Notts County man and into the bottom right corner of the net.

Stanley pushed the U’s for an equaliser and an outstanding save from Will Norris was promptly followed by a courageous block from substitute Harrison Dunk on 70 minutes following an Accrington corner, to ensure they maintained their advantage.

However, the hosts equalised 13 minutes from time when an Accrington pass between Coulson and Haynes played substitute Tarique Fosu through one on one with Will Norris and the Reading loanee slotted into the net from eight yards out.

Cambridge United: Norris, Furlong, Legge, Coulson, Haynes, Ismail (Williamson, 85 mins), Berry, Dunne, Ledson (Dunk, 60 mins), Clark, Spencer

Accrington Stanley: Etheridge, Pearson, Davies, Mingoia (McCartan, 66 mins), Windass (Buxton, 85 mins), McConville (Fosu, 66 mins), Brown, Hughes, Conneely, Kee, Halliday

Attendance: 2,185 (257 U’s fans)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account