Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


12 December 2015

Club News


12 December 2015

Berry strikes late to secure U’s win

Cambridge United made it three consecutive Sky Bet League Two wins, with Luke Berry striking late to clinch a 2-1 win over Plymouth Argyle at Home Park.

Ben Williamson’s sixth minute goal set the U’s on their way to a dominant first half display, and they continued to look threatening in the second period before Gregg Wylde levelled the scores with a header 20 minutes from time.

However, with four minutes of regular time to play Berry was handed possession by the hosts and the midfielder finished magnificently on the edge of the box to score the definitive goal in the clash.

Cameron Gayle and Ben Williamson were the only two changes to Shaun Derry’s starting line-up, having been cup-tied for the match with Doncaster a week earlier at the Abbey Stadium. 

Williamson ensured the U’s got off to the perfect start, when the Gillingham loanee was played through on goal by strike partner Barry Corr, before placing his shot excellently back across goal and into the Plymouth net on six minutes.

The U’s continued to control possession of the ball in a threatening area of the field, with Ryan Ledson and Luke Berry, much like they had in the previous month, stringing together United’s play in midfield.

Following a neat one–two with Barry Corr, Harrison Dunk had an opportunity to bear down on goal from the left wing on 18 minutes and only a last ditch block from Peter Hartley prevented the 24-year old from hitting the target.

Luke Berry also had a glimpse of goal in the first half when he overlapped Corr on the right before cutting inside his marker and having his shot blocked from inside the Pilgrim’s box.

Williamson came close to doubling his goal tally for the afternoon shortly before the break when he swivelled in possession of the ball inside the Plymouth area, before flashing a left footed shot across Christian Walton’s goal.

Plymouth emerged for the second half and immediately went in search of an early goal. Craig Tanner looked to have done just that when he got in behind the U’s defence and chipped Beasant, only for the offside flag to deny him. And following a surge at the Cambridge goal in the opening ten minutes of the half, United weathered the storm and evened out the play.

Newton forced a fine save from Walton on the hour mark, when the former Rotherham man picked up possession on the halfway line, weaved into a shooting position and cracked a vicious shot which the Plymouth keeper parried away from goal.

Curtis Nelson had Plymouth’s best chance of the game with 20 minutes to play, when a long free kick dropped to the Pilgrim’s captain 12 yards out which he drilled wide. However, the hosts equalised moments later when Gregg Wylde headed past Beasant from a looping Jervis cross.

The goal sparked United into life once more and Shaun Derry’s men piled on the pressure on their opponents, with Mark Roberts grazing the top of the cross bar from a bicycle kick following a flurry of U’s set piece deliveries.

United’s persistence paid off four minutes from time, when Luke Berry was handed possession 30 yards from goal and carried the ball within shooting distance, before placing his shot into the top right corner to send the 164 travelling fans into celebrations behind the goal.

Cambridge United: Beasant, Taylor, Legge, Roberts, Gayle, Berry, Ledson, Newton, Dunk (Donaldson, 67 mins), Williamson (L.Hughes, 88 mins), Corr

Plymouth Argyle: Walton, Mellor, Sawyer, McHugh, Nelson, Hartley, Wylde, Jervis, Brunt, Threlkeld, Tanner

Attendance: 7,246 (164 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account