Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Felixstowe 3-1 CRC

14 September 2013

Club News

Felixstowe 3-1 CRC

14 September 2013

The Seasiders swept away CRC on Saturday with a three goal blitz in the first quarter of the match. Operating with a changed line up and formation the game couldn’t have started any worse for the visitors who were in buoyant mood and capitalised on every error to give themselves a convincing lead.

The first goal came six minutes in, a cross field pass dropping over the head of Jack North who had given the wide player too much space on the outside of him. The resulting cross was turned in by Ben Cranfield who had ran off the back of the midfield players and with the defenders rooted to the six yard box, no one was able to stop the finish which was passed neatly into the corner.

The second goal came after quarter of an hour, a deep cross towards the back post headed into the roof of the net from a tight angle. Nathan Heath was out jumped at the far post, but questions must be asked as to why he didn’t just nod the ball out of play for a corner and why keeper McNulty was nowhere to be seen as the ball was hung up in the six yard box. 

The third goal in the 25th minute was direct from a free kick. Jack North fouled the midfield player just right of centre 30yds from goal. The resulting free kick was struck left footed around the wall into the far corner.

Despite not controlling the ball in this period, CRC still had a couple of opportunities to spring an attack but were wasteful in the moments that did arrive. They did finish the half strongly and looked threatening as they found a way to compete and carry a threat. 

The second half was a different story. CRC were dominant from start to finish and started the half with an impressive tempo and intensity. With Felixstowe constantly on the back foot and CRC looking dangerous in wide areas, they pinned the hosts into their half and looked menacing with the ball.  
It took just five minutes for CRC to bag a goal, James Akintunde beating his man and whipping a cross to the back post for Macauley Joynes to tap in.

CRC continued to press and hurry the opposition at every opportunity and but for some good defensive blocks may have bagged a second. One fine move of intricate passes round and between the Seasiders defenders and midfield players resulted in Javan Scott being through on goal and being pulled down by the last remaining defender on the edge of the box. CRC will feel hard done by that as the move didn’t end in a goal, a penalty or a red card, and had they managed to get a second, may well have fancied themselves to take something from the game.

All other attacks went unrewarded as the half drew to a close and Felixstowe were delighted with their victory.

Coach Mark Bonner said, “The start killed us. The shape didn’t work for us, but having said that the goals came from some poor defending regardless of a system. Organisation, positioning, tracking runners, defending on the front foot, blocking, and intercepting are the key components and principles in our defensive play regardless of formation. These skills were lacking and we were punished when they were. 

We stuck to the task and finished strongly in the first half. Our second half, free from the pressure of the score almost I know, was superb. A brilliant intensity, desire and togetherness put us on the front foot for the whole half. We deserved the early goal and perhaps deserved another. We were unfortunate not to get that, and I would’ve backed us to go on had we got that when we had them rattled.”

Team; Mcnulty, Heath, Burns, Hancock, Joynes (Pratt 70) North, Doyle, Cook (Scott 45), Akintunde, Lowe, Pring (Hogan 80) Not Used; Banthor

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account