Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


25 January 2020

Harvey Knibbs’ second half equaliser and a stunning save from Dimitar Mitov earned Cambridge United a point away at Morecambe in Sky Bet League Two.

The U’s ended their run of defeats and having fallen behind early in the second half to former U’s loanee Adam Phillips in this one, they were forced to show tremendous guts in a much improved second half performance which earned them a point.

United lined up with three changes as Harry Darling and Jack Roles returned to the starting eleven,  and new loan signing Victor Adeboyejo moved straight into the side.

It was a first half of little goalmouth action for either side. Cole Stockton bumped Harrison Dunk off with his right shoulder before pulling a shot right across goal with Mitov seemingly having his target covered anyway in the early encounters.

Paul Lewis hit a cross from Jack Roles first time on 13 minutes, but it immediately took a deflection off a Morecambe defender and looped comfortably for Christoffer Mafoumbi to catch.

The Shrimps keeper did exceptionally well to deny Roles from breaking the deadlock with United’s best chance of the half, when the Spurs loanee picked up a loose ball at the back post and hammered it on target only to be denied by a quick reaction save.

The U’s had a late glimpse at goal when Paul Lewis flicked on a corner into the path of Harry Darling, but the centre back couldn’t quite get his knee over the shot to keep it under the cross bar.

The Shrimps wasted no time in striking after half time though, with a block from Darling inside the U’s box ricocheting directly into Adam Phillips who took a touch out of his feet before smashing a finish past Mitov with his right foot, eight yards from goal.

Paul Lewis wasn’t able to generate enough power on a header at the far post after being picked out by Harrison Dunk on the hour mark, as Calderwood’s men went in search of a leveller.

An excellent phase of play between Maris, O’Neil and Lewis almost unlocked a tight Morecambe defence, but the latter saw a dangerous ball right into the heart of the six yard box hacked away with United players queuing up to bundle it in. The move though highlighted the U’s improved quality in the second half and they continued to ramp up the pressure. Deservedly they levelled on 67 minutes when Harvey Knibbs cleaned up from five yards to poke in his sixth of the season from a U’s corner.

Whilst United now had their foot firmly on the throat of the hosts, they were dealt a huge warning when Cole Stockton broke clear one on one, but directed his side footed effort wide with the U’s caught out on the counter.

Luke Hannant and Idris El-Mizouni were brought on to try and give the U’s the little extra they needed to claim the three points, but it wa Dimitar Mitov who had the final say in the result. The Bulgarian keeper pulled off the save of the season, springing high to his left to divert away Aaron Wildig’s curling effort that seemed destined for the top corner in the final minute of the match.

Morecambe: Mafoumbi, Conlan, Kenyon (Wildig, 71 mins), Old, Stockton, Lavelle, Mendes-Gomes, Slew (Leitch-Smith, 84 mins), Cooney, Phillips (Brewitt, 78 mins), Diagouraga

Bookings: Phillips, Slew

Cambridge United: Mitov, Knoyle, Darling, Taylor, Dunk, O’Neil (Hannant, 84 mins), Maris, Lewis, Roles (El-Mizouni, 84 mins), Adeboyejo, Knibbs

Bookings: Lewis, Maris

Attendance: 2,019 (132)

Advertisement block