Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports


28 August 2019

Cambridge United were emphatically beaten 6-0 by Championship high flyers Swansea City as they exited the Carabao Cup in the Second Round at the Liberty Stadium.

The U’s lined up with seven changes from their previous League outing against Oldham four days earlier, with Burton, John, Dunk, Lambe, Roles, Knibbs and Dallas all moving into the side.

Having knocked out Championship side Brentford in the first round of the competition, Colin Calderwood’s men were immediately aware of the stronger test that faced them in South Wales when Kristoffer Peterson fired the hosts into the lead inside a minute with the Swans’ first attack of the game.

A strong one on one save from Callum Burton against Declan John ensured the U’s were not two goals behind in as many minutes into the match.

United settled a little soon after and created their first opportunity through a well-delivered free kick by George Maris off the left flank, which Louis John headed wide from a central position inside the Swansea penalty area on nine minutes.

John recovered well in his own area five minutes later with Wayne Routledge threatening to wriggle free on goal, but the U’s man forced the experienced winger wide enough to ensure his shot at goal did not trouble Burton.

Swansea did double their advantage midway through the half though when Sam Surridge beat Louis John in the air to release Declan John down the left. The left back’s cross was initially blocked before George Byers tucked the rebound into the U’s net from eight yards out.

The lead was extended to three on 24 minutes with Surridge the most alert inside the 18 yard box to a loose clearance and prodded the ball beyond Burton, as United’s evening became increasingly more daunting.

Calderwood’s men did their best not to back down and crafted an excellent chance with a fine passing move which ended when Harvey Knibbs collected a fizzed pass into him from Leon Davies, back heeled into the path of Jack Roles whose cleanly struck effort rattled the Swans cross bar.

The U’s could not keep their Championship opponents out at the other end though, and when Routledge backed into John to work space for a shot which was saved low by Burton, the rebound was slammed in by Jordan Garrick on the half an hour mark.

Harry Darling flashed a good chance across the face of goal and beyond the reach of Roles three minutes before half time, but unfortunately for United the goal scoring action for the first half was not complete until Surridge registered his brace in additional time after breaking free from his marker to conclude a miserable half.

George Byers crashed the U’s woodwork with an effort from range ten minutes into the second half as the host’s continued to dominate after the break.

To United’s they showed far more defensively discipline and rigidness for a long spell of the second period to reduce Swansea’s chances to extend their hefty lead. Although Wayne Routledge made it six with 15 minutes left on the clock when he squeezed a shot between the legs of Burton from an acute angle.

A superb pair of saves by Callum Burton late in the game stopped Swansea sub Barrie McKay and Kristoffer Peterson registering a seventh and drew applause from all within the Liberty Stadium. Nevertheless the U’s bowed out of the Carabao Cup with a second cup upset well and truly out of their reach on the night.

Swansea City: Nordfelt, John, Peterson, Carroll (Evans, 72 mins), Routledge, Surridge, Wilmot, Naughton (Rushesha, 66 mins), Byers, Garrick (McKay, 61 mins), Cabango

Cambridge United: Burton, Davies, Taylor (Hannant, 45 mins), John, Darling, Dunk, Lambe, Maris, Roles, Knibbs (Knowles, 70 mins), Dallas (Smith, 70 mins)

Bookings: Lambe

Attendance: 8,763

Advertisement block